Identification: Old Plant Finally Blooms!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Zelda, Jul 8, 2009.

1. bedixon

bedixon Active Member

beautiful... as I recall, those waxy sweet scented flowers last a lovely long time. nice to see your pictures, enjoy!

2. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Be careful Zelda, you just might get addicted to other hoyas!

3. Zelda

Zelda Member Maple Society

I'm laughing! I am looking for a hoya bella actually.

4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

very nice!!

it's SOOOO easy to become a hoya-holic...

5. Zelda

Thing is, not only are they beautiful, but they give you such a gift when they bloom.

Anyone have recommendations besides hoya bella? And where do you find these plants, other than from family or friends?

Thanks,

Zelda

6. bedixon

bedixon Active Member

Zelda, mine's a bit small to be taking from yet, but I can ask the friend I got mine from... would it survive a cross country mailing if wrapped in wet paper towel and plastic? I'd be happy to do that if you're interested, let me know.

7. Zelda

I'm VERY interested! Once you find out if shipping cross country is possible, let me know how to get in touch with you to give you my address. I'll pay for the shipping.

Thank you so much!

Zelda

8. Bluewing

There are many sites online that sell all kinds of hoyas, ebay is one of them.

9. Zelda

Wow! They sell everything on e-bay, don't they? I would not have tought of it.

Thanks. I'll log on and have a look. Perhaps someone close by has something I might like.

Zelda

10. Bluewing

Yes, they do! If you get anything new, you'll need to post another picture:)

11. Zelda

I promise. Anything new I get, I'll post a picture or two.

This is so much fun, I can't believe I didn't find this place a long time ago.

I have a wonderful garden outside too. :-)

Zelda

12. Zelda

Hi!wo of them bloomed!

I'm afraid I'm not really the person to answer your question. There are people on here who are much, much more experienced than I with these plants.

As for the one I posted about, it's a very old plant. I took a few pieces from it when they became too long and put them in water. A few months and a lot of roots later, two of them bloomed.

To my knowledge, the original plant - which my mother had since I was a little girl - has
    never bloomed. However, I did put it beside the one that did so they could perhaps discuss this blooming business.

Perhaps some more experienced hoya people could answer you. I now know that, when the blooms are done, I should put the plant in a smallish pot with some good potting soil and not cut the stems on which the blooms were because this is where new ones will appear in the future.

Other than that, can someone else please shed more light on the propagation of hoyas?

Zelda

13. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

hoya can be easily rooted in soil. some don't recommend using water, at all, as the rooting medium. and some hoya (those that are the kind that like to have their roots stay very dry) would not be candidates for rooting in water. others that aren't so sensitive to overwatering should root in water as easily as they do in soil.

i've had success using both techniques. and i've had failures with both, as well.

there are many online sites that sell hoya - just google 'buy hoya' and you'll have pages and pages of results!!

rooted or unrooted cuttings, of most of the species, would easily travel through the post - even across a country as big as canada.

wrapping the cut ends in moistened papertowels or newspaper would be recommended...and i'd also wrap the wet material in either tin foil, plastic wrap or use a plastic bag around it to keep the moisture in. if it's an unrooted cutting, that will promote the roots to get started during the trip, and, if it's a rooted cutting, you'll want to keep them moist during their time out of soil.

since they've been in the dark for days (or a week, depending on distance traveled), they'll need time to get adjusted once you unpack them...keep them in a very low-light area for a few days and then gradually increase their light level to the point where it's bright indirect light (not many of the various types do well in full sun).

some varieties take quite a while to bloom. almost all like to be rootbound before they'll even think about blooming. some are very finicky and ALL the various conditions need to be 'just so' before they'll bloom...light levels, air temps, soil type, soil moisture, etc.

14. Zelda

Thank you very much for all the information. I'm especially pleased to know that there are sites where you can buy hoyas.

And the information about what to do with the plant once you receive it is very important and I'm grateful to have it. Thanks so much!

I'm very anxious to visit some of those sites. I'll let you know what I decide to get and whether or not they decide to grace me with their beautiful blooms.

Again, thanks!