Oh No! Over-watered/damp/soggy soil (indoor houseplant).

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by ohitsbrandon, Apr 18, 2008.

1. ohitsbrandon

ohitsbrandon Member

I researched a tiny bit, but stopped and figured I'd come here for a quick answer.

I'm relatively new to gardening (indoor, that is all I do): one year of experience. I over-watered two of my plants. The soil is now soggy and damp in both. I haven't had to water them since early March. They were re-potted in February, so I'm curious if there is a way to un-dampen or dry out the soil so I can resume normal, proper watering without re-potting.

I'll restate the question without the unnecessary details: How do I dry-out/fix over-watered and damp soil in indoor houseplants?

Thanks for any help.

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

what are the plants? what type of container are they potted in - plastic, unglazed clay, glazed/painted ceramic? how big are the containers? do they have drain holes? what type of soil did you use?

depending on what type of plants they are and what kind of container and soil, you may be able to leave them be until the soil dries out on it's own. some plants can't deal with overly moist soil for extended period of time and would need to be dealt with to get the too-moist soil situation remedied.

please answer the above questions so we can help :)

3. ohitsbrandon

ohitsbrandon Member

The first is a China Doll, the second is a Goldfish Plant. They are in some standard plastic containers which are about medium sized (six to ten inches across). There are 6 drain holes in the Goldfish Plant container and 3 in the China Doll container. I am using all purpose potting soil (indoor, outdoor).

I hope that helps.

4. joclyn

the larger the container the longer it takes for the soil to dry off - especially if you do a proper/thorough watering. proper/thorough watering is watering until you see water draining out the bottom. and it sounds like that's what you did! good for you :)

the china doll can handle the moisture - they actually like and need consistantly moist soil. so that one should be okay. let it dry down a bit and water again when it's still just the slightest bit moist. that one also tends to get leggy (and very quickly, too), so make it a habit to regularly pinch the new growth off to keep it bushy - every couple/three weeks should do it. it does best in indirect light, too.

the goldfish plant does like a bit of dry before it gets watered again...it doesn't like to stay dry for too long, so, keep an eye on it and when it's been dry a couple of inches down for a couple of days, water it again. that one needs indirect light thats a bit brighter than for the china doll.

neither one should be watered to the point that the soil turns to mud - that will quickly cause root rot.

regular potting soil is fine for both. if you used the miracle grow soil with the added moisture retention stuff then you won't need to water either of these as frequently as you would if you used plain old potting soil.

5. ohitsbrandon

ohitsbrandon Member

Thank you, joclyn.

6. joclyn

you're quite welcome brandon!