oak in Dominion Brook Park, Vancouver Island

Discussion in 'Fagaceae (beeches, oaks, etc.)' started by ceramik, Apr 10, 2016.

1. ceramik

ceramik Active Member

(I had originally posted this on the Plant ID forum)

Perhaps someone familiar with this park will recognize this oak? It is a very small-leaved oak and is situated immediately north of the large Quercus dentata. I believe it was described by our guide as one of the smallest-leaved oaks.

Attached Files:

2. Garryoak meadows

Garryoak meadows New Member

Hi, It has been planted in an area with young oaks, 25 years?
    I did not know there are tours?
    If this is that planting they were acorns planted by Wayne Erickson,see the Garry Oak publications under BC Ministry of Forests. Acorns were from an International Oak Society Conference.
    Please plant an Garry oak acorn this fall,our future forests depend on this.

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

These don't look like Quercus garryana to me, which should have obvious lobes and leaf petioles, and not have fruits on peduncles. Maybe Quercus ilex? I'm seeing some photos of Q. ilex with very short petioles like these, and the leaves are supposed to be short and hardly lobed.

4. Garryoak meadows

Garryoak meadows New Member

Hello to be clear. The planter did not seed Garryana. The miscellaneous acorns were remainders from the conference. They sources were hybrids and species wild collected and grown in garden and nurseries.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2020