Oak Bay Native Plant Garden Groundcover Plant Name?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by cindys, May 10, 2010.

1. cindys

cindys Active Member

Hi Naming Whizzes - This weekend I saw this great groundcover plant for shade in the Oak Bay Native Plant Garden. My daughter-in-law said it had had yellow flowers a few weeks ago...if you look really closely you can see little yellow bits on the ends of stalks (probably the seed heads?) As I have massive amounts of shade, I wonder if someone could id this plant for me?

Cindy

Attached Files:

2. Harri Harmaja

Harri Harmaja Active Member 10 Years

3. cindys

cindys Active Member

Thanks Harri...It does look a bit like the ranunculus, but this is supposed to be a Native Plant garden...ie. Native plants of the Pacific Northwest. However, your suggestion led me to a few more photos and I wonder if it could be Caltha palustris. Daniel posted one on Botany of the Day taken at UVIC Finnerty garden (not too far from the Oak Bay Native Plant garden).

Any more ideas?
    Cindy

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Ranunculus ficaria is what I came up with on a first pass as well when I looked at this yesterday, but the native bit dissuaded me from posting and suggested I investigate further (haven't done so yet).

I'd say it's definitely Ranunculaceae. Won't have time to look at it more closely until this afternoon, though. Caltha palustris is a possibility.

5. cindys

cindys Active Member

If it helps...I have Caltha in my garden. The leaves of it are, definitely, the same shape. However, the leaves on the Oak Bay plant were quite a bit larger. They are about the same size as the wild ginger (but not the same shape).

Cindy

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Looking at it more closely, I'm inclined to agree with Harri. Caltha's fruit is a follicle.

7. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

The leaves of Caltha palustris are toothed so it can't be that, (in addition to the different fruit). However, if the leaves of the Oak Bay plant were larger than Caltha leaves I don't see how it could be Ranunculus ficaria which would normally have smaller leaves.

8. 1950Greg

1950Greg Active Member

Langley, B.C. Stones throw from old HBC farm.
    What came to mind was Viola sempervirens Trailing yellow violets but the leaves are huge for a viola. I've never seen them larger than an inch across. The seed pod doesn't fit but the colour of the flower does but there are a lot of plants with yellow flowers.

9. cindys

cindys Active Member

Daniel and Harri - you win the prize!!!

I emailed the contact person for the garden, Carol Davies. She confirmed that it was, indeed, Ranunculus ficaria or Lesser celandine. She said that it was NOT a native plant and that they spend a great deal of time trying to eradicate it!

Too bad, guess it wouldn't be a good idea to plant it in my garden!

Thanks all....

Cindy

10. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I don't think Caltha has the same leaf venation pattern.