Appreciation: Nutrients to give a weeping japanese maple

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Sarihalsey, May 3, 2011.

1. Sarihalsey

Sarihalsey Member

Are there special nutrients that can be put in the soil around the weeping japanese maple to help it in its growth and healthiness? This one is bound up a bit because of a crack in it due to heavy snow, but I am trying to get the most info as I can, it is such a sweet beautiful tree. I want it to have the best chance it can to survive. Any help and advice is profoundly appreciated.

2. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Sari,

I would not give a stressed tree any fertilizer. In general, maples do not need fertilizing as long as they are in average to good soil. If you have poor soil and do decide to fertilize it should be a very low nitrogen, organic type like HollyTone. Even then I would apply at 1/2 the recommended rate, and only fertilize once every 3 years or so.

3. Sarihalsey

Sarihalsey Member

Dear K 4,
    Thank you for replying with that awesome advice. That is what my thoughts were but I wanted to get another opinion. Also do you think that I will get any blooms on the tree this year, or will it stay in a dormant stage because of it being stressed with the split? Thank you in advance for all your help. You are awesome!!!!

4. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Blooms - hard to say. Sometimes stress makes them bloom more, sometimes not. Its a wait-and-see game...

5. Sarihalsey

Sarihalsey Member

Thank you again K4 for your reply; I will look forward to seeing whether or not there are blooms. It is so great to have a venue to ask questions about the care of plants and such awesome people who truly seem to care about the plants and provide so much help.
    Smiles.
    Sari