nursery near Greenville , S.C.

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Paul Hansen, May 2, 2009.

1. Paul Hansen

Paul Hansen Member

I am looking for a nursey that has large number of differant japanese maples in the Greenville S.C. area ? Thanks for your prompt reply.

2. Paul Hansen

Paul Hansen Member

If not the Greenville,S.C. area . Maybe a day round trip to a nursrey for japanese maples. thanks in advance .

3. Acer palmatum 'Crazy'

Acer palmatum 'Crazy' Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hey Paul,
    I know of several in the Atlanta area.
    Let me know if you are interested.

What size are you looking for? Are you looking for some of the rarer cultivars?

I did run into a nursery at a graden show a couple of weeks ago that was located out on Hwy25. But i cant remeber there name.

Mike

4. Paul Hansen

Paul Hansen Member

looking for maples in 3 to 5gal size with real smooth grafts . I grow my trees as bonsai. As for what cultivars Iam looking for sagara nishiki or a small leafed varigated ,reticulated . I have aka shigitatusa sawa ,butterfly , spring delight .orangeola,kasagi yama ,and toyama nishiki . To give you and idea of what i like . thanks for the help . Paul

5. Acer palmatum 'Crazy'

6. Acer palmatum 'Crazy'

Sorry i hit send before i was done.

Hi Paul,
    Here are a couple in my area. They have a pretty good selection of cultivars. Of course most of the grafts are not done for Bonsai in the nursery trade but you can look thru them.

I live just an hour and a half from Greenville, actually grew up there. If you wanted to come down one saturday, i would be glad to travel around with you. Actually if anyone else in the area wanted to go we could have a fun trip.

Of course Atlanta is such a scattered place they are all over. Nothing is close in Atlanta, LOL.
    I plan on doing Bonsai, but really have nothing in pots. Basically just collecting getting stuff started. I have several i am going to grow out, alot of seedlings, and over 200 cultivars. I am starting to put them in the landscape and starting to graft them for copies. Unfornuately i am not great at grafting, but i plan on grafting for Bonsai in the future.

You can go to the websites for these nurseries.

Gardenwright is a basic nursery with a good selection of maples.

MapleRidge is run by Mike a guy i meet at a maple society meeting. He specializes in maples. And has some nice ones, propably right in the size you want.
    Last time i was there he had some really nice mature stuff.

Just Add Water is the third is a guy who has alot of maples and conifers. He is out in the country, but a good place to visit. Big setting with alot of trees planted out. Last time i saw him, he had some palmatum 'Orange Dream' hacked up in some Bonsai training pots. Propably not professionally done, but you might find one you want to work with. Lot of good size conifers also. I have 4 or 5 nice pines from him.

There is also a Bonsai Shop The Monastery out close to him. They dont have any cultivar maples, but you might want to drop by and see some Bonsai, tools, pots, etc.

The Pike Nurseries in the area have some nice selections also. We could pass a couple of them.

There is another Bonsai shop north of us Plant City. He doesnt have cultivars, but does have seedling stock. Especially tridents.

GardenWright Nursery
    http://www.gardenwrightnurseries.com/

MapleRidge
    http://japanesemaplesandconifers.com/

Just Add Water
    http://www.jawsnursery.com/

Mike

7. Paul Hansen

Paul Hansen Member

Thanks for the info . Will do a road trip soon .