novice gardener

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by bitsky, May 25, 2009.

1. bitsky

bitsky Member

Just started work on making a vegetable garden for my wife. (16'X32'). Went and rented a tiller and tore up a section of our lawn to make this garden and now realize I may be spending the rest of the summer just trying to get all the turned in grass and roots out. wanted to make this a chemical free garden, but now realize I may have to get something to kill all this grass and roots. Just wondering if anyone knows what to use, so that we may be able to harvest something in the fall. Something natural or chemical free would be ideal, but am willing to try anything other than spending the rest of my summer on my knees. Live near Barrie, Ontario and the soil is good top soil(there's a farm right across the road from us)if that helps. It is now May 26 and time I think is running out. Thank you

2. MannieBoo

MannieBoo Active Member

I really don't think there is anything out there that is chemical free that would completely kill everything in the garden plot. My garden is not much smaller then yours, 14x28.I've been growing a garden for 20 years, both gardens I started were from the true beginnings like you. We tilled the soil until the grass was mulched to the point the it was unrecognizable as grass, then I took a good garden rake and raked it over. Once most of the grass and weeds are out plant your seedlings etc. As the weeds grow, pull them out of get a dutch hoe (if you can find one)and use that to remove the weeds, once the veggies that you grow are taller then the weeds let them be, they can be tilled in the fall and will compost over the winter. If you can get some manure in the fall from your farmer across the road if he has some, about 5 wheel barrow loads for your size garden, and spread it around. At times it might seem like a lot of work and at the beginning it is but eventually the weeds will lessen and you will have an organic chemical free garden. One thing to remember, next spring don't over till, over-tilling stimulates the weed seeds, till just enough to break up the soil. Hope this helps a bit, Having a garden and working it is worth it all in the end.

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

this bed isn't really going to be ready quite yet for planting yet...

do a bit more chopping up of the turned over sod and add in some manure and till it over. add some leaves in the fall, again turning it over into the soil and next year, the area will be ready and willing to grow some great vegy's!!

if you don't want to wait that long, do a small section now that has been cleared of the excess grass - just add in some already-cured manure, if you like, and plant some things.

with the rest of the bed, you can allow it time for everything to mulch down until next year.