Notification for Moved Posts

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Junglekeeper, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

The move of a post into a subscribed thread does not trigger a notification. ([thread=67367]Example[/thread].) Can it be changed so that it does?

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Sorry, no. The notification email is sent when the post is made, not when the thread is altered. Besides, it would have already sent out an email notification in the other thread (had that thread not been archived & the user had the permission to post without moderation)

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Perhaps the recipient thread could be *bumped* to trigger a notification.

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I discovered something funny about moved postings today too. I moved two postings to a different thread. The notification link is to the last posting in the original thread, and there is still a last posting in the thread, so the link goes there, but there isn't anything new there, and I didn't post anything saying I'd moved the postings (except I told the people who'd made the postings). So anyone subscribed to the old thread would have no idea what the notification was all about.

The subforum listings, however, do correctly (and amazingly) show the new postings in the new thread and no update for the original thread.

I haven't got as far as thinking about what I think about that. I was going to ignore it, though I think we might be having quite a few new scouts coming on board and I might be doing a lot of moving of posts. Oh well.

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

That's correct -- anyone subscribed to the old thread would not why there is a notification.

There's no really better system -- emails can't be "pulled back" once they are sent out.

6. Daniel Mosquin

Some moderators may choose to do that, but I won't make it a requirement of them (since the bump should later be deleted as it is clutter).