Not sure results repotting Ficus Ginseng Bonsai

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Sandra75, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Sandra75

Sandra75 Active Member

I got a Ficus Ginseng in a round 5 inch pot from IKEA. I bought the rectangular bonsai pot. Starting to re-pot, I noticed how much higer the round pot is, so I took all the soil that I could out. Cut the roots (I'd say half) and some trunk piece was growing to the inside below and cut a piece out so it wouldnt debalanced the bonsai once in the rectangular low pot. Now my question, how long would it take for the bonsai to show me signs that its not doing well, or might die after doing unexperienced bonsai re-potting?

2. bonsai MD

bonsai MD Member

you should start to see symptoms of stress "transplant shock" in as little as three days or so. you were ok in cutting the roots back by half if the pot you transplanted in is alot smaller than what the tree was purchased in. a lot of store bought bonsai are potted up in a container much too big for the tree initially. typically this is acceptable because it gives the new owner alot of room for error in the watering needs of their newly purchased tree. you might have to cut back a few branches as well. one should try and achieve a balance of root mass to foliage. take some of the longer branches on or near the top and reduce them to 2 or 3 pairs of leaves. don't keep the tree in direct sun light for a week or so. and remember that since the tree does'nt have as much roots, it wont be able to take up water as quickly until it recovers. do not fertilize your tree at least a month!that will really stress your tree out. hope i've been helpful. happy growing!! i will be happy to answer any more questions you might have. good luck!

3. Sandra75

Sandra75 Active Member

Thank you!! I re-pot it on Friday night. So far no leaves has fallen. I'll see about cutting just a bit of leaves out but I cant do much because its not really long. But here is a pic of my Bonsai, let me know what you think. Thanks again so much!!

Attached Files:

4. bonsai MD

bonsai MD Member

from what i see you are ok for a while. the general rule of thumb is the width of the container should equal two thirds the hight of the tree, so this container should work for some time. check out my post to BRUCIEBOY'S question on ficus care, for a general overview of the ficus specie. remember about watering too much!! this is how most bonsai are killed by thier new enthusiastic owners. looks like you have a couple of aerial roots starting. thats a nice touch too the bonsai, typical of the ficus. good luck and happy growing!!

5. rockyplants

rockyplants Member

It looks a little full. I usually remove the large leaves that grow out of the fork and off of the primary branches. best to nip instead of pulling off as ficus tend to be brittle and break easily. If it is in a low humidity area, it might be good to keep wet, even with pot immersed 25cm. or so for 10-15 days or so while new feeder roots establish. Pix. is of zig zag ficus. i generally don't remove all leaves of ficus, although this works well for many deciduous Just the inner to open up limb structure and large ones that throw off balance. rockyplants

Attached Files: