Not rooting

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Sandra75, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Sandra75

Sandra75 Active Member

I have this plant that isnt rooting at all. 3 months ago, I broke the plant trying to get it in the car. The broken piece only had 3 leaves and is in water ever since. Now it has so many new leaves but no roots. Something I'm doing wrong?

Attached Files:

2. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

I would stick it in a clear glass .. then in a kitchen window with sun shinning on it .. and if you have some liquid fertilizer add a couple of drops .. or even powdered .. just to get some algea going ... plants seem to love this ... and dont change the water .. just keep topping it off .. I have never changed the water in my rooting glasses .. actually you cant even see through the glass any more it is so green .. but the plants keep rooting ..
    I also beleive this plants take a lil bit to root .. but with the clear glass it should start to root soon .. as long as the leaves and stem looks good still i wouldnt worry about it .. it will root eventually ..

good luck ..

Marion

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

that's the chinese evergreen - silver queen variety, i believe. that one takes longer to root than other varieties. if it's sending up new leaves, then it's getting what it needs, so i wouldn't worry to much.

after all this time, and due to it's new growth, you could put it in soil - i'll bet it'll send roots out in no time. if you don't want to chance that, i agree with marion that some fertilizer in the water would help to jumpstart the roots forming.

4. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Chinese evergreens are like that, you can have them in water for months and you won't get any roots, but as soon as you plant it into soil, you'll be surprized how quickly it roots! Maybe they don't like to get their feet wet!
    If you ever break another stem, try sticking it in soil instead of water.

5. Sandra75

Sandra75 Active Member

I now see some white-ish dots all around the part of the stem in the water... that could be the roots starting to form!

6. Amany

Amany Member

Yes! It sounds like roots are finally forming. Personally, when I root these, I like to leave it in water until the roots are about an inch long. For some reason, the only way I've ever been able to root them is in water.

7. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Just remember, water roots are different than soil roots and cuttings would need to adjust again in the soil.

8. cookie_mccool

cookie_mccool Active Member

Ah hah! I always thought I was just making that up! I'm extremely gratified to know that it is a true fact.