Not exactly 'jumping' out of my skin....

Discussion in 'Photography and Art' started by Chungii V, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Spotted this praying mantis the other day out the back of my shade house. Gladly no birds came across it before it finished it's change of gear!

Attached Files:

2. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

This is great! My son and I love watching all the mantids that we get in our garden. I've not yet been blessed to see one shed though. Very cool!

3. Hybrid Theory

Hybrid Theory Active Member

I brought some of my little guys in for the winter since I have lizards theres always some kind of bugs running lose in the house and they help keep that in control.

4. Wolvie150

Wolvie150 Active Member

hmmm - side tracked. Anybody else notice in their part of the country that the mantis were more plentiful than normal? Or perhaps is my 'garden sense' just becoming more attuned??? (east central KS areas - mostly west of KC, in and out of zone 5b/6a.

thanks!
    Wolvie

5. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Hey Wolvie? I'm in NE Kansas....noticed these last THREE years we've been getting a TON of the larger Asian mantids...and this year some of the smaller members...

6. galen

galen Member

Yes, I have noticed that they are everywhere. I even had them inside my porch. I'm just across the river from you-all. Smithville. I have also noticed or it maybe just the location but ants seem to be plentiful.

7. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

My ants are all aphid friends unfortunately...I've been watching them in one corner of my garden doing their 'grooming'.....
    I won't be worried about our wonderful introduced mantids as of yet? But if they start going for larger prey (my cat?) then I might get there....lol