Identification: NOT an Aroid!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by ianedwards, Nov 20, 2009.

1. ianedwards

ianedwards Active Member

An unknown plant bought 4 years ago I thought was an Aroid, possibly a Homalomena, but now it has flowered. Does any clever person know what it is?

Attached Files:

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

sorry, i don't have a clue about what it is. pretty leaves, though, and VERY pretty flowers!! will be subscribing to this thread to learn what it is cuz it's on my 'gotta have' list!

saltcedar or togata or someone will know what it is!

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

My blushes, joclyn! (Gosh!)

Do photos 2 and 3 depict the same plant as photo #1...? Are the blossoms as close to the soil as they appear to be?
    Agree with you, joclyn: beautiful leaves.

Fear not! The incomparable Ron B will scan this plant with his hawk-like optic and ID it in about ten seconds flat.

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

No idea whether it's a native or not?

5. ianedwards

ianedwards Active Member

Yes, all pictures are of the same plant. And the flowers are just above the ground. Fairly sure it is not an Australian native. A week later it is possible to see more of the structure of the inflorescence.

Attached Files:

• N.jpg
      N.jpg
      File size:
      140.4 KB
      Views:
  6. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

I really like this plant too. Very nice distinctive leaves.

7. togata57

I hope that this plant gets IDed soon! It's driving me nuts.

Why do I keep thinking of hyacinths? Water hyacinths? I know it isn't. A senile idee fixe. Seems like the plants I look up might be vaguely right in 1.rhizome-y root/corm sorta thing; 2.flower/inflorescence; 3. leaf---but not all three simultaneously.

ARGGH!

8. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

togata, you are not alone!
    The leaves are exquisite. Such beautiful veins. Wow!

9. joclyn

it's namelessness is driving me nuts too!!!

i agree that the flowers do resemble hyacinths...and the bloom time would be right for hyacinth - it's mid spring down in oz. the leaves don't match though - not even close to the usual. although, it could possibly still be in that same family...there's one iris i've seen that doesn't look like the other, more common, types. could be the same kind of thing here.

where's ron or lila or saltcedar??

ian, does it have a tuber or rhizome or bulb??? or is it just roots?

10. 2annbrow

2annbrow Active Member

North Bend OR US;Oregon coast, just N of Coos Bay
    Is is possible to get a photo of the entire plant? I'd like to see how the leaves join on to their stems.

11. ianedwards

ianedwards Active Member

The first photo shows the entire plant. Each leaf comes up on its own stalk from ground level. No tubers or rizomes, just fibrous roots, I repotted it to make sure, but without risking damage could not see how it all connects up underground, could have an underground branching system. Attached view of under the leaves. Also one of a curious structure that has been developing, during the last year, around the lower end of a couple of the leaf stems just above the ground. It has lived in my hothouse, temperature never below 15C in winter, high humidity and good air circulation, but has been a slow grower, so I assume must be tropical. Unlike most plants in there it has never been attacked by scales, mealy bugs or mites. Can't think of any more clues!

Attached Files:

12. joclyn

i noticed that 'growth' on one of the other pics - this is a much better view of it. thanks!!

k. i think it IS an aroid!

that growth pattern reminds me of the way syngonium (aka arrowhead plant/vine) grows when it starts to 'vine out'. some philodendron also grow in this manner.

with that in mind, the leaves look similar to syngonium - the way they're growing up out of the soil as well as general shape. syngonium has fleshy roots, too.

i've never seen one flower, so have no idea what it would look like (spathe/spadix or like what you have there).

we need more comment from beth and also need to get steve or trikus or one of the other aroid experts to chime in here!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  13. Silver surfer

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  14. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Joc, definitely not an aroid. As Silver Surfer points out, the flowers rule it out - Syngonium in my garden produces a spadix and spathe just like any other aroid I've ever met.

This said, although it looks awfully familiar I can't quite place it. Aargh!

15. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

I don't have a clue either other than it certainly isn't an aroid. The flowers somewhat resemble a generiad. Just a couple of points.

Leaves join to petioles and the petioles join the stems. Technically the petiole is a part of the leaf so in that way the stem does support the leaf. However the petiole and the stem are not one and the same. Stems produce nodes, internodes and roots, petioles do not. This explains:

http://www.exoticrainforest.com/What is a stem. What is a petiole.html

When aroids reproduce the inflorescence is always composed of a spathe and spadix and the purpose of the spathe as the inflorescence develops is to protect the spadix although in many aroids such as Anthurium it reflexes away once it opens. The flowers of an aroid are always near microscopic and are found on the spadix.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  16. photopro

My friend Leland Miyano ID'd this one for you. It is Cyanastrum cordifolium Oliv. from Gabon. If you watch the TV show Survivor then you know where Gabon is in Africa.

17. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

Cyanastrum cordifolium. Tecophilaeaceae

18. Silver surfer

Thank you so much Photo pro, Leland Miyano, and Douglas. That has been driving me crazy. I thought it looked like a hosta leaf and have tried every combination to find it eg evergreen hosta, waxy leaf hosta.

Apparently it has the common name of "Indoor Hosta."!!!!!

http://www.equatorialexotics.com/html_plant/burbigea-heliconia/cyanastrum_cordifolium.htm

This site is selling it for $35.00 @ Glassworks in Stewart OH .USA

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...gb:IE-ContextMenu&rlz=1I7SUNA_en-GB&sa=N&um=1

Mystery solved!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  19. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

Thanks, but it looks like Leland Miyano beat me to it by a few minutes. Not knowing sure was bugging me, and I went through an awful lot of obscure monocots before I got to Cyanastrum.

20. joclyn

thanks, steve & leland and douglas!!

21. photopro

I'm not a taxonomist but Leland indicates it is in the family Cyanastraceae TROPICOS appears toa agree.

Attached Files:

22. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Tecophilaeaceae via the Angiosperm Phylogeny Group. Latest updates probably aren't reflected in Tropicos yet (the APG III system was published in Oct 2009)

23. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

I thought the leaves were hosta like as well, but had no luck looking up "rare" hostas...

24. togata57

How do I spell 'RELIEF'?-------------ID!!!
    Now we know!
    Hey, joclyn...have you got one yet? :-)

25. joclyn

nope, not yet! i WILL find somewhere to get one though - it's a little late to be ordering plants, so, it will probably have to wait until spring.

i did a quick google on the name - came up with some info about the family. didn't notice any links for anyone selling it...