not a good news story

Discussion in 'Talk about UBC Botanical Garden' started by TimA, Jan 4, 2009.

1. TimA

TimA Active Member

nor is it about plants. If you're depressed don't read any further.

I found a songbird I thought was dead on the path (actually in the sheltered section above the labyrinth) the other day, and placed it in a crevice in the wall. It occurred to me afterwards, because it wasn't yet cold, that it could just have entered a torpor. My question (for any twitchers out there) is, can this happen suddenly leaving the bird exposed anywhere, or is it more likely to seek shelter or some protection? As I say, it was already in the covered section with the orobanchaceae.

many thanks

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Might it have flown into a window? If not, there are of course pathogens and parasites that infect and kill birds.

3. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I've never heard of a songbird entering a torpor while flying; normally they seek a roost at the very least. I'm with Ron - did it fly into a window? Did it look otherwise healthy? How old was it (how much wear did it have on its beak)?

4. TimA

TimA Active Member

True enough, could have been many things I suppose. The glass/plastic there is somewhat opaque, if I remember right. My first instinct was that it had succumbed to the cold. It looked in reasonably good condition otherwise, although I didn't check its beak nor do I know enough about birds really to know for sure.

5. TimA

TimA Active Member

So, a bird in torpor would remain in an upright position?

6. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Perhaps the Bird ate from a tainted feeder?

7. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

From what I've seen, they either remain upright or they end up sitting; most of the songbirds here that are prone to torpors tend to look for a ledge that they can sit flat on, rather than, say, a branch they have to grasp with their feet.

K. Baron brings up a good point - if anyone has, say, toxic grain out to control mice or other rodent pests, the bird may have succumbed to that. I used to see it with warblers and vireos more than I really wanted to when I lived in Canada. At least here in Ecuador when somebody wants to get rid of rats they get a terrier or other ratting dog and let nature take its course.

8. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Very few feeders on campus (and none at the garden).

And we wouldn't have used toxic grain either -- we're pretty close to pesticide-free (and some areas of the garden are), other than things like dormant oil.