Norfolk Island Pine Photo

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by SUNRIZE, Nov 20, 2007.

1. SUNRIZE

SUNRIZE Active Member

I bought one of these cute little trees when I first moved to Florida 4 years ago to set on the table as a Christmas tree. After the Holidays I repotted it and since then it has grown well over the top of my head (I’m 5’2’) I was trying to find a picture that I’d seen on the internet some where to show just how tall one of these things can get. This was the only photo I found so far. Sorry the image quality is not so great. But you get the idea of how big they can grow.

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yeah, that's a pretty good one.

3. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Jo Ann and Ron,
    I went over to Norfolk Island about 2 years ago, and they have some magnificent specimens over there, naturally. Obviously they get a lot bigger than that, but that is a pretty big one!!
    Interestingly enough, they have pepperomi and Hibiscus that are endemic to the island as well. Quite a different mix of plants to be endemic I thought on such a tiny island. The hibiscus didn't look anything like one would imagine a typical hibiscus would look like.
    Off topic a little bit, but you go down the road to Lord Howe Island and that has so many palms endemic to the island, namely the Howea or Kentia palm amongst others

Ed

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi Jo Ann,

You'll need to link to the page that hosts the image instead of attaching the image directly. If it's not your image (and it doesn't sound like it is), it is likely copyright someone else, and I don't want to have to deal with people complaining about their copyright images appearing on this site.

Sorry.

Daniel

5. SUNRIZE

SUNRIZE Active Member

I'm very...very sorry I knew to attach the link. I can't find it at the moment didn't save it. No the picture is definitely not mine. I found the picture under Norfolk Island Pine Kerikeri. I will find the link and give credit to the author as soon as possible. Once again I apologize.

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

7. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Awesome, thanks Michael and Jo Ann.

8. jaro_in_montreal

jaro_in_montreal Active Member

They are also quite popular in California.
    Here's a couple of relatively small ones in Solana Beach....

Attached Files:

9. dogseadepression

dogseadepression Active Member

Hi My name is Wyatt Reinhart, I have 2 Norifolk Island Pine one is 2 ft and the other one is 4ft in height, I work at a nursery in IL, and the person I work has an 8 ft Norfolk Island pine , I hope that my 4 footer gets big some day so I can display it for all to see. What part of florida do you live in? I live in Macomb, IL and the nursery that I work at is called Tranquil gardens, it is located west of where I live. I would tell you that norfolk island pine can get to 200 feet in height. Wyatt Reinhart