Non Flowering Trumpet Vine?

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by GreginClevelandHeights, Mar 25, 2007.

1. GreginClevelandHeights

GreginClevelandHeights Member

Four years ago I planted trumpet vines on a garden arbor. The vines are well established now but we have yet to get any flowers. I'm not sure what I have to do to make it bloom. Any ideas?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If raised from seed perhaps not old enough.

3. GreginClevelandHeights

These were not raised from seed.............plants were placed and ambitious growth obtained the first year............but during the first winter.........a strong wind pulled the arbor down and the plants were compromised...........the next year they came back strong.

4. kia796

kia796 Active Member

My trumpet vine thrives in those conditions...falls down, breaks branches, gets hacked down to a foot from the ground when it gets really messy, and always comes back with a lovely show of blooms. Mine blossoms only near the ends of branches, so a hard pruning every two years seems to help.

In addition to waiting, maybe try a Mor-Bloom fertilizer, or any fertilizer with a higher middle (P) number than N or K. It wouldn't hurt the trumpet vine.

5. GreginClevelandHeights

Thanks for the reply........I'll try what you suggested. Greg