Propagation: No roots on orchid spike baby

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by sueremin, Feb 24, 2012.

1. sueremin

sueremin Member

Hi,
    My rootless orchid originally grew from the spike of another plant. The first year it was small; the second year (still on the spike) it spiked and flowered at the same time that the "mother" plant did. After the flowers died last summer/fall I cut the connecting spike and planted the baby, leaving the air roots, thinking that it would grow roots in the potting mixture. It was doing fine, grew a spike this winter and it's currently flowering. It developed spongy leaves, I checked the roots to find that there are no roots on it! Only the air roots. What to do? Cut the flowering spike and put the whole thing in plastic with sphagnum moss? Help!

2. Furballs

Furballs Active Member

Sphag and bag often works, but what do you mean by 'air roots '. I'm assuming this is a phal ? They only have one kind of root.. and it IS a type of air root, because in habitat they grow epiphytically, in the forks of tree branches. Those roots take their nutrition and water from air and the bits of detritus that fall from the upper forest canopy, and also 'hold on' to the bark of the tree. Without those, the plant has little hope of survival, but sphag and bag is worth trying. In habitat they also grow upside down, to the way we grow them in pots, with the roots at the top and leaves at the bottom, spikes kind of go wherever they like when they grow. What did you plant the keiki [ baby orchid] in ? They like airy mixes, either all sphagnum moss, or a mix of large chunks of bark, charcoal and other things. The roots must always have plenty of air and they are best watered by dunking in a sink or bucket for awhile, then draining. Mine tend to do best in clay pots, but plastic is not a death sentence for them.

3. Furballs

Furballs Active Member

My Mom had a Phal that did what yours did. Sprouted two keikis, one of which flowered while still on the mother spike. By the time she had the courage to cut them off they had huge root systems, and did well planted in clay pots with a mix of moss and bagged orchid mix.

4. sueremin

sueremin Member

Hey, thanks for responding.
    It's just a Phalaenopsis orchid; is that what you mean by phal? Bought the original at Trader Joe's years ago, and that's in a regular root mix. I'll try all your suggestions. Thank you!

5. Furballs

Furballs Active Member

Yes, I meant Phalaenopsis.. I mostly refer to them as Phals.. it's so much easier to type :-). I just potted up half a dozen of them, three more or less standard size, three miniatures, in a huge pot I found on sale at place that was closing. Not a true orchid pot, but it's got 3/4 inch holes all over it, much like a real orchid pot has openings, but it does not have a shiny glaze, it's more like plain terracotta in texture. I'm trying a new potting medium, it's coarse coconut fibre and chips of coconut shell. It comes compressed and you soak it in water like coir, to make a big batch of medium. It's a really nice colour and it will be interesting to see how they do in it. The pot is about a foot deep and across, so the orchids should be able to stay in there for a good length of time. I had my Mom's Phals in the same style pot, just a slightly smaller size and they did brilliantly in there. Sent roots out most of the holes, and many of them stuck quite tightly to the outside of the pot, just like they do to tree bark in nature. It's interesting to see how that works.. you need a knife or thin spatula to pry them off the pot once they are stuck, they are surprisingly strong. I'd love to try growing them mounted on bark slabs, but I don't have the room or the humidity to do that. I think a greenhouse would be needed. Maybe one day though :-). Good luck !

6. Furballs

Furballs Active Member

Btw, do you know the trick for getting longer bloom from a spike ? If you cut a spike that has finished it's flowers, while it is still fresh and green, you can get another branch, or maybe more, from it. Cut approx. half way down, about one quarter inch above a node, and slant the cut. With any luck at all, it will start a bud and new branch from the node and you will get flowers much sooner that if you just cut it off at the base when the last flower falls off. This does not work 100% on all Phals, but of all those I've cut, only one has failed to branch so far.

7. sueremin

sueremin Member

I really appreciate all your help! I followed your suggestion and did as your mom did--planted it in moss and mixture, and am hoping for the best. And will try the idea for longer blooming from a spike. Thanks again!