No leaves on my Japanese maple

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Pamdaycat, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Pamdaycat

Pamdaycat Member

I tried going through other threads, but got lost and didn't find my problem.

I live in Alexandria, Virginia. The Japanese maple was already here when I moved in 17 years ago...

Anyway, Most of the tree has no leaves. only a couple of branches are leafing. I fear I might have poisoned it--I put some lime down to kill moss around the tree. then I learned that they love acid, so did i kill it? Also we had a late frost and snow after most tress started to bud (the redbuds were in bloom). Could that have done it? The leafless twigs are still flexible, but haven't show any signs of new buds.

As so many others have written--I love this tree and want to save it!

pamdaycat

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

My guess it that yes, the lime was not a good idea. You might have really damaged to roots. Maples spring back really well from late frosts, so I don't think that would be it.

Cross your fingers and hope for the best. If some of the branches survive then in time you will have a nice tree again. Next spring saw off any dead branches and give it time.

M.

3. Pamdaycat

Pamdaycat Member

Is there anything I can do to counteract the lime now?

4. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

The only thing I can think of is to dump acidic liquid around the tree... but I can't see the tree liking that one much either. I thinks it's best to leave it be for this year.

5. Pamdaycat

Pamdaycat Member

I thought maybe watering it with tea might help? I agree I don't want to anything drastic to stress it even further.
    thanks for your help!

6. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Pamdaycat remove the earth around the bark after use "peat acid "or use Sequestrene liquid,cut the branch dry and good luck ("-")alex

7. Pamdaycat

Pamdaycat Member

Thanks for your reply.
    What do you mean by "cut the branch dry?" There are only a coupld of branches of the tree that have leaves--the rest do'nt--are you suggesting I prune it back drastically? I'm sorry I don't understand.

8. alex66

yes prune but no drastically, little!!!alex

9. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

I think Alex means cut any dry branches

10. missmelly

missmelly Member

Hi - I am having the same problem here in NY - I posted my question in another thread. Don't give up hope.....

11. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Diebacks and sudden deaths are common problems with Japanese maples. Do not pour anymore chemicals on the poor thing! That the lime hurt it is just an untested supposition. It may have gotten too wet at the root or picked up a pathogenic infestation in some other way, coincidentally at about the same time as the lime application. Clip leafless portions and take them to Cooperative Extension to see if they can test them for disease problems (there will likely be a fee). If wondering what pH and nutrient content of soil in lawn is at this point sample that and see about getting it tested via Extension also.

12. alex66

Missmelly the hope is energy for life,(in Italy "the hope is last to die") I think positive.alex

13. missmelly

missmelly Member

Thanks Alex66 - I'm half Italian - I luv that quote.

14. alex66

which part of Italy?

15. missmelly

missmelly Member

Grandmother Zena from Naples and Grandfather Peter from Calabrea :-)

16. Pamdaycat

Pamdaycat Member

Thanks y'all. I am sending positive thoughts to my tree. I have scraped away the soil with the lime and am putting down a layer of peat & mulch. At least it will look nice. I called an arborist, but he hasn't shown up, yet. so much of the tree is leafless that I don't know where to start or stop cutting back, so I'm waiting and seeing. I just found out where the extension office is so will go there with samples this week.
    Meanwhile I will send happy thoughts to my tree. thank you all for kind words.

17. alex66

hi Miss Melly you have acer Lobelli?discovered by Michele Tenore in the gulf of Naples is a good columnar tree...Ciao from Italy
    p.s. and citrus Bergamotto?in Calabrea there is the best Bergamotto of the world,

18. cafernan

cafernan Active Member

This poisoning of the plant with lime, supposes a situation of stress for the plant. I suggest to aport some fertilizer with microelements.
    Good luck!

19. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

There is no way lime is going to effect your 17+ year old Maple tree. Unless you put like 500 pounds under it, and even that would take along time. Acidic plants will also grow fine in neutral Ph soil, they will eventually draw the acidity to its root zone and create its own acidic area.

Like Ron says dieback is very common on Maple trees of all sorts, possible caused by a Bacterial Blight. But more then likely it is just abiotic stress from hot dry drought like conditions over a few scorching summers.

I wouldn't remove any wood that isn't dead just yet.

JIM.

20. missmelly

missmelly Member

Thank you Alex........fascinating. Beautiful trees and indoor plumbing, among other things......thanks Italy. :-)

21. Pamdaycat

Pamdaycat Member

Sad news--verticillium wilt is what the arborist says. my poor old tree. it makes me weep--perhaps I should get a willow instead! anyway. She is to come down while I am away on business so I won't have to watch.

22. alex66

Hi Pam shop another maple and write news again alex