Identification: No ID Philodendron

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by Tayler8, Dec 4, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Tayler8

Tayler8 New Member

I’m so confused. I have no ID for a giant philodendron in my backyard and I can’t find anyone who can. The best I’ve heard is “Emerald Duke”. Anyone have a clue?

Attached Files:

2. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

Hi Tayler, welcome to the forum. :)
    Philodendrons like these vary massively in leaf shape, size, and even color depending on different stages of their life cycle, different culture conditions, and even among different seedlings from the same parent. There are innumerable possibilities for a similar leaf shape at this early stage. Sometimes you can get a better ID when they get their mature leaf shapes and you can see a blooming inflorescence, but it is really impossible to tell most of these young aroids apart at this early stage. Anyone who thinks they can make a guess is just unaware of how many different species and hybrids could look just like that. So sorry it will have to stay a noid for awhile!
    I notice the internodal spacing seems very long for even a climber, so it could probably use some more sun, and a moss pole. :)

3. Tayler8

Tayler8 New Member

Wow! Thank you for the great response! It is probably 15 years old growing up a tree and this is just a cutting from an immature part of the philodendron. Do you think it is just a hybrid with no name? It probably doesn’t get enough sun because of the spacing.