Newspaper in compost

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by infinidox, Jul 15, 2009.

1. infinidox

infinidox Member

Apologies if this has been covered a million times before, but I didn't see it after a quick search.

I've heard that using newspaper with coloured ink is not good for composting, due to toxicity of the inks, but black ink is fine. Anyone heard anything similar?

2. worldharmony

worldharmony Active Member

I haven't heard that black ink is safer, nor that all news printers use the same ink. We don't compost newspaper, just in case.

3. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

Contact the printer of your local paper- many use soy based inks these days, even for color. This is newsprint only, not the glossy inserts.

4. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

One can never be too careful.

I will not buy soil unless the seller will provide a stat dec saying that the soil has been kept under glass since a month before the first Europeans arrived here: after that time, there is a chance that a bird that ate an earthworm that once chomped through polluted soil may have relieved itself while flying over the soil that is now for sale, which will therefore be carcinogenic. I believe that other posters share my concerns.

5. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

I took a composting class a few years ago, and the instructor (who was from the state university "master gardener" program) said essentially what infinidox posted above: that colored inks may be safe, or they may not, but that the black ink used today for newsprint is non-toxic and safe for composting. In fact, strips of newspaper were suggested as a means of adding "brown" material to the mix to balance "green" (i.e. nitrogen-rich) material, such as grass clippings.

It's possible, I guess, that this advice is not universally applicable but based on the particular situation here in Maine.