Hedges: Newly planted emerald cedars developing brown patches

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by pacificstart, Aug 31, 2007.

1. pacificstart

pacificstart Member

We bought 6 cedars at the end of June this year and planted them along the fence in order to start creating a hedge along that fence.

The plants are in full sun and get at least 6 hours of sun during summer. We kept watering them every 2-3 days and made sure the trunk is not burried. The grond slopes underneath the fence right behind them so I would think there should be no drainage issues.

We bought them from a farm and replanted them in a few hours in the same day. We haven't added any fertilizer -we just used the local soil.

After 1 month or so, they started to develop brown patches here an there - see pictures.

Any idea what may be wrong with them ?
    Are these patches normal just because of the summer ?

I intend to plant about 30 more cedars but now I'm worried about them dying....

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Luv2Grdn

Luv2Grdn Active Member

Overall I think they look good. I would cut back on the watering. Maybe once a week if there is no rain. Look for any branches that might be damaged. The one branch on the second picture looks like it might be damaged. Cut it out if it is.
    Maybe you know this but, if you top the cedars they will bush out at the bottom. Then you might not need to buy as many. Mine are planted 4 ft apart (from trunk to trunk) and are crowded after 5 years of growing. Just a thought. I also mulched mine in the beginning. I don't apply anymore now. Good luck. :>)

3. RonLiz

RonLiz Member

I would suspect spider mite .