New Zealand flower

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by ceramik, Jan 17, 2017.

1. ceramik

ceramik Active Member

photographed in October in Rotorua. Memory is poor on this one. I think it was a tall shrub in street landscaping.

Attached Files:

2. David in L A

David in L A Active Member 10 Years

Pandorea pandorana?

3. ceramik

ceramik Active Member

Thank you. Yes it is. I'm embarrassed to say that I was shown a fair bit of it in New Zealand, and in such quantity that I took landscape photos of it (such as attached one) and never bothered to acquaint myself with it up close.

Attached Files:

4. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

5. ceramik

ceramik Active Member

Well, as my daughter would say, it's my bad. I don't take notes but rely on images and only occasional videos as a record, and in this case from a single photo and an unreliable memory (this was taken in 2014) I had the mistaken impression that it was a lanky shrub... This highlights a problem of mine: in 2 or 3 other cases of id requests that I have made, I receive answers and search not only the internet but also my library of over 100,000 images, only to find that I had photographed the plant at some botanical garden or other in the past, properly identified (I'd like to think). But there is no easy way to search my images for similar plants, especially as I don't have the time to tag the images with diagnostic characteristics...

6. ceramik

ceramik Active Member

... so I rely on your collective input, which is truly impressive and appreciated!

7. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I know what you mean. I'm always so relieved when it turns out that I've never heard the name of a plant I've posted for ID, or at least not seen it in the form that I posted.