new to the forum

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by punkin patch, Jul 9, 2008.

1. punkin patch

punkin patch Member

hope I'm doing this in the right spot. well, here goes. My name is Jeff, and I'm in Va. Just got my first house and one of the first orders of business was a garden. I've always wanted one but never had the room. The idea started with me wanting to have a pumpkin patch for my daughter who will be 13 months just before halloween. I thought she and my nephew might get a kick out of it. So I planted about 30 pumpkin seeds. whoa...they took off.
    Then I got excited and added cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, and corn. Then some giant pumpkin seeds and some sweet pie pumpkins. At the time I didn't know anything about spacing them out or companion planting, or that anyone plotted out their gardens. Planning isn't usually my idea of how to do things. Everything is growing wonderfully though and looks healthy. Lots of pumpkin flowers but I'm still waiting for a female to show up. I check every day and spend at least an hour a day pulling weeds, looking for bad bugs and just generally marveling at my success! : )
    So I'm learning by the day and have already begun planning next year's garden. The one I have now is about 12'x15'. But I have a relatively good sized yard at 78'x54' so I think I'll make one next year that spans the length of the side of the yard. About 78'x12. I can't wait! I've started planning already! Can't wait to meet some of you and pick up some tips and stuff. Hopefully I will contribute too, I am taking pics all the time so I'm anxious to share!

Jeff

Attached Files:

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Looks great! I wish you the best of successes with your pumpkins and other veggies!

3. Raakel

Raakel Active Member

Welcome Jeff! Your pumpkins look great. You'll find a wealth of information on this site and a lot of very knowledgeable people. Looking forward to seeing your pics.