New soil:(

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by SARAHLOVE22, Jul 8, 2008.

1. SARAHLOVE22

SARAHLOVE22 Member

I had the most beautiful orchid and for about a year it was doing great in its original pot. Then the roots got really visable so I decided to repot it. I went to wal-mart and got some orchid soil and put it in a bigger pot. Now it seems to be wilting. Is there anything I can do to restore it or did I kill it? This was my first orchid so I have so many questions about them. Do they bloom only once or once a year? How do you water them correctly. I am going to get another one but I would like to refresh the one I have of possible. Any Help out there for a beginner????

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  2. arcticshaun

arcticshaun Active Member

I think that the wilting your seeing (if it hasn't killed your plant) is the effect of new media on your plants roots during a season with more light and heat stresses. Your older growing media was probably more broken down and held more moisture, now your new media lets in more air there is less moisture contacting the roots while the leaves are being subjected to brighter light and higher temps. Repotting is a good thing to do but it changes the watering needs of your orchid. If possible back it away from windows (or add more shade) while the summer sun is more intense and soak it good while watering but still let it dry somewhat in between waterings (spray the leaves and roots often as possible). When a Phalaenopsis is well established it can bloom twice a year when given a slight cooling period (some species will only have one bloom season). All my plants bloom inside under lights.

Shaun

3. terrestrial_man

terrestrial_man Active Member 10 Years

You really need to identify the kind of orchid, just what condition its roots were in, what kind of orchid mix was used, how often do you water, how hot it gets during the day, and if you add extra humidity by misting or using a humidity tray.