New seedlings in my future

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by bihai, Sep 17, 2020.

1. bihai

bihai Well-Known Member 10 Years

Have several Anthuriums with berries in different stages of ripeness. Looks like I will be raising another 100+ children over the next season

Attached Files:

2. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

Ok, don't be thinking you can post fascinating photos like that and get away without telling us what each one is, especially that first one! Any non-hybrid single-species crosses in there?

3. bihai

bihai Well-Known Member 10 Years

LOL I didn't actually think there was anyone but you and I who had been here lately. So I didn't think anyone would care. The first one is Anthurium spectabile. I have a plant almost 20 years old. She frequently makes 5-6 spadices at a time and they pollinate each other readily. I sell the berries, and raise the seedlings for sale and trade. Mainly because unhybridized specimens of this plant have become scarce. It has not been in production for sale commercially in the US for 15+ years. So I am trying to bring it back. The second one is on my Anthurium forgettii. I pollinated this spadix myself with Anthurium papillilaminum pollen AND pollen from another hybrid I have, Anthurium besseae x magnificum. One or both might have taken. I hope to grow all the berries out and see what I get. The third is another plant I have had in my collection for over 15 years, Anthurium crystallinum x faustinomirandae. This is either a self pollination or a bench cross done by insects or tree frogs, I did not do this. I will be growing all these myself as well. The fourth is Anthurium crystallinum. It is a single species cross. These will be mine. The red berries are Anthurium crenatum, these pollinate themselves easily. I sell and trade these berries as well as grow seedlings. I am going to plant a bunch in my yard, put some up in trees LOL. I have one that stays outside, it has been hardy to 30F so far. I also have (not pictured) Anthurium vittariifolium, about 7 spadices forming berries, and a hybrid I have that I call Frilled Lizard, we believe it is a cross between Anthurium cupulispathum x pedatum. I pollinated it with pollen from Anthurium clavigerum and it is forming some berries. That plant is pictured below. It is a very large growing Anthurium leaves are 2 ft

Attached Files:

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Not true. You're getting lots of views. The Thaumatophyllum Spruceanum (formerly called Philodendron Goeldii) thread has 329 views when I'm posting this. I agree with Tom Hulse - if you're going to show off photos, we want names! Particularly since we know you have them. You never know when they'll answer someone's question.