Pruning: New Ornamental Cherries from Old

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by Pindusa, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Pindusa

Pindusa Member

I have some very old ornamental cherries in my yard who continue to bloom beautifully, but which are being invaded by something which makes their branches rot out and fall. I see small holes in some of them. When they fall, they are almost hallowed out and the consistency of paper. Some of the branches have some sap coming out of them and solidifying.

What could be wrong with these trees and is there something I can give them by way of feeding to strengthen them against whatever is ailing them.

My husband says the trees are very old and near the end of their lifespan and does not want to spend a whole lot of money (which we do not have) on them if they're going to die anyway.

Also, they have a lot of healthy looking suckers coming out of the ground around the trunk. Is there some way to propagate more ornamental cherry trees using these suckers? How do I do it? How do I help give these new trees a good start.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

It might be possible to slow the damage if the exact cause where known and the right remedy was undertaken. Maybe your state Cooperative Extension Service can help. The suckers may be sweet cherry or other rootstock, in which case you would not get the Japanese cherry from digging and replanting there or keeping them where they are.

Comparatively inexpensive lighter grade specimens of Japanese cherry trees are available from outlets here during late winter and spring.