New Member to on line discussion

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Lynn Wilson, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Lynn Wilson

Lynn Wilson Member Maple Society

I have a three year old Kasagi yama planted in full sun. The established leaves are green with undertones dark veins. The summer growth is the more typical red leaves with the dark veins. So therefore I have a tree with green and red leaves. While this is interesting I would like to know if this is typical of this cultivar?
    I will be in Chicago for the Maple Society meeting and look forward to face to face discussions on maples.
    Lynn

2. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

Acer palmatum 'Kasagi yama'

Acer palmatum 'Kasagi yama' is listed as a variegated form. Your description sounds about right. Although listed as a variegate, I consider this variegated maple in an additional classification, a "reticulated" form. I usually refer to these types as reticulated. Typically this form shows its type of variegation as a web like pattern, hence the term reticulated. Other reticulated forms are 'Peaches and Cream', 'Shigitatsu sawa', 'Aka shigitasu sawa', 'Will D' and 'Purple Ghost'. This type of variegation, typically, is more pronounced on new growth and tends to diminish as the season progresses and the leaves mature.

3. Lynn Wilson

Lynn Wilson Member Maple Society

Elmore,
    Thank you. I am pleased to learn more about these exquisite trees. I appreciate your
    reply. I now feel better about my Kasagi yama in its current growth stage. Again, thank
    you.
    Lynn