New Hydrangea-Quick Fire

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by finegarden, Jul 26, 2006.

1. finegarden

finegarden Member

I am new to this forum. I bought a Quick Fire Hydrangea from UBC garden centre last weekend. It is 2005 new type of hydrangea introduced to Canada. I am very excited about it. I have two questions. (1) It supposed to bloom earlier than other types, but it didn't show any sign of blooming. Why? (2) It has a single strong stem at 3' tall and others are 2' and lower. It's not very bushy. I can see a sign of pruning before but I don't know why this tall branch remained. Should I prune this tall branch? How and when. Please give your advice. Is there anyone have any exprience about this plant?

2. finegarden

finegarden Member

Just an update on my Quick Fire Hydrangea. It has some flower buds on one of the branches. Is it going to bloom this year or next year?

3. James D.

James D. Active Member

I will bloom next year, hydrangea macrophyllas always flower on 2 year old wood, and should only be pruned after they flower. If you are going to prune it it is important that some branches be higher or lower than the others so that not all the flowers are all at the same level, the plant will look much nicer with tiers of flowers. How to prune, just cut it back by how much you want and make sure to cut the branche on an angle right above a node and remeber to wait untill afetr it flowers to prune it otherwise you will be cutting off all the flowers buds and it will take one whole year before it will flower again.

4. finegarden

finegarden Member

Thank you James for your info. To my knowledge, Quickfire Hydrangea belongs to paniculata Varieties, so it will bloom on new wood. It is not big, so I didn't prune yet except I cut tallest branch short in July. Now I can see 2 branches have flower buds. I am so excited to wait it blooms next year.

Attached Files:

5. petauridae

petauridae Active Member

Nice garden! I like where you've placed the hydrangea. I got a Lady in Red Hydrangea this year but where I put it is way more mundane that when yours is! Mine 'covers' the gas meter!

6. finegarden

finegarden Member

Update on my Hydrangea this year. It's so beautiful now. It at least double the size and it has flowers on every branch. Some of them are turning pinkish.

Attached Files:

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Have seen it flowering in 2 gallon pots.

8. levilyla

levilyla Active Member

This Hydrangea is not a macrophylla. It is a paniculata. It will bloom on new wood. It blooms earlier than most paniculatas and turns pink then red and therefore the name. I have just got one this summer and it had blooms on it when purchased. If you have buds on yours they will bloom this summer.

9. finegarden

finegarden Member

My QF Hydrangea is turning pink from white. I like the color.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2007
  10. levilyla

levilyla Active Member

I just got one this summer also - mine does not have as many blooms but not in alot of sun and that is probably the reason. :~( How much sun is yours in?

11. finegarden

finegarden Member

My is facing west and get sun from later morning until later afternoon. So it's very sunny location.