New Homeowner needs help with ID

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by scubasteve65, Feb 26, 2008.

1. scubasteve65

scubasteve65 Member

Having never owned a blade of grass this is all new to me.

http://img253.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fronthedgeyk6.jpg

It's about 15' tall. Some of the leaves are all variegated green/yellow and others are solid green as pictured. It developed the berries(?) in the late fall. Along with identification I would like to know when and how I should cut this back (shrub is in lower NY state). Needing to take about 5'-6' off the top. Thanks. I will soon post additional pictures of a tree I have as well.

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Euonymus fortunei (Fortune's Spindle) or close relative.

3. Latifa

Latifa Member

It is Euonymus fortunei. I had it in my garden for at least 30 years ( IT WAS PLANTED BEFORE i WAS EVEN BORN)Oh, caps lock just turned on... Anyway, we usually cut it in early spring, but since it is evergreen here, it could also be done in summer.I must say, that ours used to be a tall ( about 2 meters) bush, but it was repeatedly attacked by some white bugs, so last winter we cutted down to the groung, and it recovered quite good. I noticed that these bugs attack most of these bushes here, so it could be a problem... Anyway, this is a very easy plant to grow, and I must say, ours never produced berries, so BRAVO for you! Altough, if you trim it constatly( I meen every year) it won`t produce flowers, so no berries then! Good luck!

4. scubasteve65

scubasteve65 Member

Re: New Homeowner needs help with ID (new pictures)

Thank you both for your responses. As you can see in the new pictures it is quite tall - at least 4 meters or more (13 feet for me). It is interfering with the rain gutters and so I need to cut it back. Can a substantial amount be safely cut back? to just below the roof line? I'm an artist and not worried about ending up with a misshapen shrub - I just don't want to cause it harm.
    http://img248.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sidenc9.jpg
    http://img248.imageshack.us/my.php?image=backrd1.jpg
    The second pic is the backside against the house.
    ps. I can't take credit for the berries. They came with the house.

5. Latifa

Latifa Member

I say go for it! It won`t be as pretty as now, but I think it wouldn`t harm it! It is really big, so I think it is strong!Altough it is a shame...it`s good looking...And after you do that, try to keep it in size that you want, and that means you should prune it every year, eventualy it will form a nice edge...

6. scubasteve65

scubasteve65 Member

When would be the optimal time to prune? The weather in New York is still bouncing between -6 at night to +5 during the day. I purchased bypass loping shears. Is there some method I should use. I've read about 45-60 angles, distances from main branches, wound care, etc. for various other trees/shrubs.

7. Latifa

Latifa Member

I think this time of the year will be ok for prunning it! Don`t do it if temperatures go to 10-15 deegres C, as the plant juices will be active then! As for the tehniques, I`m not much of an expert , I just cut it and hope for the best! Sorry, not much of a help, but mine didn`t complain! :-D

8. scubasteve65

scubasteve65 Member

I can only get to it after the weekend and temps are predicted just at 10 Monday and dropping off for the rest of the week. I'll post a new pic.. Will also have new questions and pictures regarding a tree in the backyard that drops long white/grey fuzzy strings and others.
    Thanks again everybody.

9. scubasteve65

scubasteve65 Member

10. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years