New garlic grower. How to begin?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Garlique, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Garlique

Garlique Member

My husband and I want to grow garlic commercially in raised beds but we have a lot to learn. We just moved onto one sunny acre at the 108 Mile Ranch. We will need to truck in some soil and stuff. What kind of "stuff" DO we need? What's the best soil to use for successful garlic? How late in the year should we be planting it? I don't even know what zone we are in nor how to find out. And where do we get "seed"? And what kind is good for this climate?

So many questions!

Thanks,
    Garlique

2. KBQ

KBQ Member

Hi
    go to the web and look from there. In the meantime try saltspring or West Coast seeds. I think Raingrow fertilizer people are in your territory? they may help. There is an agriculture Canada website as well that will give you lots of info. Just punch in garlic, growing, BC and maybe Interior or 100 Mile House? GardenWise is a site to find commercial growers and that may give you more info as well. Good luck.

3. Garlique

Garlique Member

I've looked on the web, yes, but was hoping to hear from someone "in person" who has experience in the region. Thanks for the site names.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Have you talked with the folks at Goodness of Garlic? Sounds like they are about 13km down the road from you. Depending on your business model, I suppose they could either be a competitor, they could be a purchaser from you, or they could be a "friendly competitor" (much like the way I see a cluster of vineyards in a small area - all competing, but the fact that there are so many is the attraction and benefits all).

5. Garlique

Garlique Member

Ah, yes, the local garlic company... so that's their name! Thanks! I had driven past them once this summer and didn't have time to stop and forgot their name, but have been wanting to talk to them.

6. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years