Rhododendrons: New Cutting Propagation Method

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by GRSJr, Nov 27, 2005.

1. GRSJr

GRSJr Active Member 10 Years

Has anyone tried the method prescribed in the latest ARS Journal (pp226-227) which is illustrated using Blueberrys, but claimed to be good for Rhododendron as well? I'm curious how well it actually works with Rhodies.

I realize it's not likely to be a good method for commercial propagation, but it looks simple enough to be great for the occasional cutting done at home. If it works well.

2. fourd

fourd Active Member 10 Years

I haven't see the article, but by any chance is it via fog?

Attached Files:

3. GRSJr

No fog. Quite the opposite. It uses damp paper towels in baggies. No medium, no system, practically no space required.

It's quite simalar to the Dr. Deno method of propagating from seed.

4. Know quite a few use zip lock bagies and peat = cheap and easy, but not with a paper towel as a medium (but have for germination). Mom would wrap cutting with a wet paper towel when collecting (something I saw as a waste) to keep them fresh. And I can see someone doing that and forgetting about them and then having them root, but I think I would stick with peat mix but might be something to experiment with :). I'll have to go and read the article now....

5. oscar

oscar Active Member

6. GRSJr

Not the same thing at all. No medium is used in the method described in the article. In fact, the sterile quality of the method is touted.

7. oscar

oscar Active Member

your right i did go off topic, back to topic then, the sterile nature of this method is the key factor correct?

i have also heard of people using oasis to root cuttings, i would be interested if anyone has tried this, and the paper towel method.