Hedges: new cedar hedge

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by jonvw92, Sep 7, 2006.

1. jonvw92

jonvw92 Member

hi, i have a new cedar hedge consisting of approximately 35 cedars planted in July 06. 6 of the cedars (in a row are) displaying signs of distress all in a straight line from tree to tree. they received daily watering with a sprinkler for about an hour a day. all the others look great. i am thinking that it may have been caused during the transportation of the cedars, this is pure speculation based on the height of the dead spots. i have cut out the dead spots but i dont know if that was the right thing to do... any suggestions of how to best resolve this would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks
    jon the new gardener

2. jonvw92

jonvw92 Member

i thought some pictures might come in handy for you all

thanks again!

Attached Files:

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes, would appear to be some sort of mechanical injury, like tight ropes or exposure to a hot surface. Implication of damage in transit would be based on timing of injury.

Interesting that what would often be excessive watering has apparently worked out in this case. Of course, we don't know all the variables, including soil texture, rate of flow etc. involved in this instance.

Commercial irrigation systems may be set to run for 10 or 15 minutes per day.

4. jonvw92

jonvw92 Member

is it a good idea to cut away the rest of the dead area??? will that help with re-growth??

thanks, ill cut back on the watering!

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Maybe try blasting it off with a hose and a jet nozzle.