New birch tree dying before even planted!

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by jpasquini, Aug 6, 2011.

1. jpasquini

jpasquini Active Member 10 Years

Hi All-

I had a row of three birch trees on the side of the house, last year Japanese beetles swarmed them. I got traps and loaded them, but it was too late. The trees put out all new leaves after the swarms left, but it took its toll. This year two have many dead branches, and one dead.

I finally found another white birch to replace the one that died about four days ago, a Whitespire. But while waiting till I could dig the old roots out the new tree (sitting in its plastic Menards pot) started yellowing with some of its leaves. It had already dropped some in the store. I gave it water of course, but today noticed more yellowing, leaf loss and a few turning brown. So, I gave it more water. Its about 85 out, very humid.

The magic question is, is it being overwatered, or underwatered? Should I wait to transplant it into the ground, even for cooler weather, or do it in a hurry?? I tend to kill houseplants by overwatering........anyway it looks as if this new birch is on its way to dying, and I have no idea which way to go.

(?????) :(