Identification: never saw this mushroom before

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by chazman409, Sep 23, 2006.

1. chazman409

chazman409 Member

If anyone can tell me about these new mushrooms that just cropped up in my bedding mulch. When mature the dark brown tip becomes oozy and gooy. The stem is hollow and the sides are made up offiberous airpockets similar to a empty honey comb but the cellas are not even orhexigonal in shape. The roots is like a gelatonous eggs. Please see photos attached. Thanks,
    C. Frank

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      121.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      81.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      134 KB
      Views:
  2. prf

prf Member

I noticed a few of these last year (neon orange, chocolate tips/caps, whitish "eggs" at base of stalk in dirt); this year an invasion. How to stop the spreading? We have been removing the stalks, the solid quarter-sized eggs, and even one older and more solid egg that had a light grey rather pointed protrusion emerging from the white ball. We've noticed white threads spreading for several inches throughout the soil and mulch in the immediate vicinity. ARE THESE FUNGI TOXIC? HOW BEST TO STOP GROWTH ORGANICALLY? The dew and light rain seem to promote increased growth over night.

3. tipularia

tipularia Well-Known Member 10 Years

It is a Stinkhorn, possibly Phallus ravenelii

4. tipularia

tipularia Well-Known Member 10 Years

Most Stinkhorns are nonpoisonous. There are some that people eat. All that white in the soil is the actual fungus with the part you see the fruiting body. If your photo is washed out and the stalk is orange then it might be Mutinus caninus.

5. door

door Member

I had the same thing this year also. The only exception was that mine was neon pink. Glad u had the pictures though.

6. prf

prf Member

After further browsing: Ours in N.E. PA are Dog Stinkhorns (less stinky than some other Stinkhorns) -- the "eggs" and stalk are the immature and mature fruiting bodies of the white/lacy fugus (the stalk emerges from the egg, which are sometimes referred to as "witches'" eggs). One gardener recommended using disposable gloves to (as early in the day as possible) place the stalks with spore-ladden slime, then eggs at the base of stalks, and white fungus and finally gloves into sealed bag. Early to beat the flies and some other insects that feed on the slime and spread it - also box turtles. Clean off any garden tools used. Second recommendation was to use a copper-based fungicide for the soil, which I've not yet decided to do. The positive side of any fungus, according to proponents, is the role in decomposition. Stay tuned for any cancer or arthritis benefits mentioned third or fourth-hand by one newsletter.

7. RuthS

RuthS Member

I have used lime with success on mushrooms. I am not familiar (nor am I an expert) with this one, but they seem to prefer an acidic soil.

Good luck.

8. chazman409

chazman409 Member

thanks to everyone for your replies and input--it is very much appreciated