British Columbia: never ending cauliflower

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by mort, Jun 2, 2010.

1. mort

mort Active Member

Several years back, I bought some cauliflower plants and put them out in the garden. They did not do much, but I left them in and they surprised me with a better head the next year. This must be their 4th year in the raised bed and I had beautiful 8" heads this year! They stand about a 20" now and when they get too leggy, I will take the occasional one out. They also make little plants off the stem which grow easily by just pushing them in the dirt. We have a sunny site and do not experience super cold temperatures. So are brassicas actually perrenials? Has anyone else had this experience? Have also left cabbage in with new ones coming.

2. laurapow

laurapow New Member

Can I ask how many years they produced for? Did you cut the plant back during the winter/after harvest? I am very interested in this, I thought they were annuals!! I have both cauliflower (and broccoli), and red cabbage.
    Thanks for the info!

3. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

The original wild version of Brassica oleracea is a bienniel, but the plant has changed a lot while being developed into all of its horticultural varieties. It's quite common for these plants to continue growing after the flower head has been removed, especially in a mild winter zone like the coastal Pacific Northwest. I see a lot of overwintered Brassicas in my Burnaby neighborhood, but I prefer to rotate them every year to avoid encouraging diseases like clubroot.