Identification: Netted stipe bolete

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by mikephillips, Nov 23, 2013.

1. mikephillips

mikephillips Member

At first I couldn't tell whether these guys were polypore or bolete, as I couldn't see under the caps. (I don't like to remove them.) Later the bolete pores became apparent, though not shown in these pics. These were a fairly decent size, the caps eventually getting to be ~14 cm across (only about 9 in the pics) with fat stipes 4-5 cm thick at the top. And with a lattice of some kind of fibre crisscrossing the stipes. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. mikephillips

mikephillips Member

Actually, as can be seen by the first pic, I could see under them, but the pores were not well developed. It was still relatively young.

3. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

The stalks look very much like Porcini, Boletus edulis; but their overall appearance is not typical of the ones I find around Vancouver. It' also rather late for Porcini. Were these pictures taken earlier? Also, what species of tree were they associated with? I've recently seen some B. edulis right in Vancouver that were associated with non-native trees, and they were quite different from the usual ones in the North Shore mountains.

4. mikephillips

mikephillips Member

Thanks for the pointer. I looked up some on B edulis and found one pic that looked a fair bit like mine but many pics showed very different colours. Mushroomexpert didn't exactly narrow the possibilities, since he says edulis has many imitators in N America and no one really knows. Oh well. I did learn that many boletes have this netted stipe, which again didn't exactly narrow the possibilities. It was certainly a prominent feature. The pics above were taken on Oct 21, so yes earlier. They were quite young then. I have some taken later of the same specimens but i can't remember the eventual underside colour, will look (in another computer). Trees around were pretty well all conifers, doug fir and pine.

5. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Were these mushrooms found in a wild setting or a developed area? If there were any non-native trees around, the fungus could also be non-native.