Nepenthes starting its first Yukon winter

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by pinenut, Oct 3, 2010.

1. pinenut

pinenut Active Member 10 Years

My favourite greenhouse/plant store brought some Nepenthes in, so naturally I had to have one. The tag just says "Pitcher Plant", and practically nothing else.
    In poking around the forum, I found a link to a feeding video, and lots of reference to feeding it bugs and meat, but not much information as to how much, how many pitchers to feed, and how often. There's at least one pitcher big enough to (theoretically) eat a mouse...
    As to water in the pitchers: Am I responsible for filling them, or does the plant somehow take care of that through regular watering?
    And, speaking of watering, we're past rainwater season here, so can I use filtered tap water? Melted snow?
    Thanks again folks.
    Carl

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Probably better to melt snow, unless your tap water is very soft.

3. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

Nepenthes aren't as picky with water quality as other carnivorous plants, but you should check your tap water to be sure it isn't too hard. Melted snow is a good idea.

Putting water in the pitchers is a good idea. The naturally have liquid in them, in order to drown their prey, but if they dry out, the pitcher will too - although they do have a limited lifespan. Make sure your humidity is high wherever you are keeping it. If not, you will not get more pitchers. Good luck!

4. pinenut

pinenut Active Member 10 Years

It ate its first fungus gnats yesterday. Thanks for the advice Michael and Kevin.
    Carl