Neoregelia

Discussion in 'Botany Photo of the Day Submissions' started by lorax, Feb 7, 2009.

1. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

A pair of photos of a blooming purple Neoregelia bromeliad from Loja, which won "Best in Show, Native Bromeliad" at the 2009 International Orchid and Epiphyte Show here in Quito. I love the colour of this one!

Attached Files:

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

oh, wow!!! that's fabulous!!!

3. lorax

I thought you might like that one, Joc.

4. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

I believe I have it here getting full sun through most of the day, it pupped last year and the pups are pupping this year :} I guess the sun contributes to the extra colouring on mine? I have been amazed at the amount of direct sun Neo bromeliads can take here. Can't say mine's won any awards on it's own though.
    This is of it's first flowering... it's cool how the flowers look like tiny birds beaks awaiting food.... sort of.

Attached Files:

5. lorax

Yup, the sunshine is what does it for deeper colours on any bromeliad. The ones raised for competition are kept carefully in part shade, the way they'd be found in nature. Full-sun colouration actually disqualifies show broms.

6. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Shame that they are being held back from their full potential, like having a croton indoors. I love foliage colour and I think my yard shows it.