Identification: Neighbour's plants

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by ashphaltandshade, Sep 13, 2008.

1. ashphaltandshade

ashphaltandshade Active Member

Hello again! Another neighbour has brought me a bunch of plants to repot. I know what all of them are except for these two. The first is sold by Burnaby Greenhouses with a tag just saying "Tropical Plant". (I really don't like that BG does that.) The other one is mostly dead, and just looks like a weed to me, but my neighbour wants me to save it... Thank you in advance!

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

The spotted plant is a croton (codiaeum). The viney one...grape ivy?

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

i agree with togata on both id's.

4. wild-rose-43

wild-rose-43 Active Member

I agree also. I have a Grape Ivy, they are awesome plants and grow very quickly. We put mine in a hanging basket beside the fireplace last spring and it managed to send a few runners over to the chimney and is now about 3 feet up the chimney on the way to the top of our 26' ceiling!

5. ashphaltandshade

ashphaltandshade Active Member

Thank you! I agree that the one is a Croton (Codiaeum variegatum), and the other is a Grape Ivy (Cissus rhombifolia). Hopefully, once I repot the Grape Ivy, trim off the dead parts, and tell my neighbour to water it occasionally, it will soon grow into a more impressive plant!