needle cast on pinus densiflora

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by jetoney, Sep 23, 2005.

1. jetoney

jetoney Active Member

A Japanese red pine that I purchased a few months ago appears to be suffering from a needle cast fungus. Most of the inner needles have yellowed (with small, dark spots) and fallen off during the last couple of weeks, leaving a formerly beautiful tree with that dreaded "lion's tail" appearance.

If I understand correctly from my web search, the needles that are dropping this year were infected last year, so the tree had to be infected when I bought it. The question is, can I still prevent the infection from spreading? What time of year are new needles typically infected, and will treating with a fungicide now prevent the spread?

Thanks,

Jim

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I'd think the answers to these questions would come from the same search that produced the information you already have.

3. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi Jim,

It may be best to take some samples of the needles to your local agriculture extension office for proper ID, so you know for sure what you are dealing with. If needle cast fungus is the beast you may want to burn the tree and fallen needles. Sounds like clean-up is key to solving this problem.

Good luck,