Need palm identification

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by JimandB2, May 13, 2008.

1. JimandB2

JimandB2 Member

Four years ago, I purchased a plant pot from Lowes in North Carolina. The pot contained several annual flowers, which are now gone. What remained is what was a single palm in the middle of the pot. After four years, the palm has grown into a beautiful tree measuring approximately seven feet. During the winter months, I pull the planted palm into the garage in order that the cold weather or frost does not kill it.

This spring, I put the pot on my patio, trimmed off the bottom palm leaves and fertilized it. In the middle of the plant leaves sprouted, what looked like a multitude of seeds, and then those "seeds" or buds, started to open and produced a white plum of some sort.

I have inquired at our local garden center, and no one can identify the plant.

My questions:
    What type or name of plant is it?
    Will the plant survive if planted in the ground? Our soil is very sandy.
    Will the cold weather or frost kill the plant?

Attached Files:

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

It looks like a Yucca spp, which is not a palm at all. It will probably love the sandy soils (I grow a couple of different species, and in just about plain sand) but I'm not sure about frost resistance.

3. smivies

smivies Active Member

That Yucca has exactly the same flower of a Cordyline australis...hardy to about 10ºF in a perfect world, but practically, a little warmer than that.