Need new soil for my garden?

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by Chivelover, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Chivelover

Chivelover Member

This is my first post.
    I am seting up a vegetable garden on a piece of lawn. I allready dug the land and just let the grass and roots under the soil. Should I clear the grass or roots incase they grow again? Should I change the soil?
    Thanks.

2. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome,

You have entered the realm of growing food for oneself and that is very desirable these days...

If the sod is tilled it should be very well mixed with manure... therefor a raised bed would be adviseable...

If you do not break down the sod, it will spring up shoots of grass but this is only consequential. The soil will likely need to be built up with rich earth for the veggies that will need to grow and be nurtured from your hard work and efforts.

The sunnyiest sight for all day sun is recommended for better growth results, you may have a cold frame built over the bed to allow for an early start of greens...you are the master of your new garden... best wishes and good luck...

Let us know what you plan to do for your first endeavor.

3. Chivelover

Chivelover Member

Thanks, K Baron.
    I am not good in hard work.:)
    I am going to plant some Chive and tomato, and soooooo on.
    It's pity my garden is too small, only around 150 sqft. Ha, do you think i am greedy?
    I need a good sleep and hard working tomorrow to buy some manure.
    Thank you again.