Need narrow, vertical shrub (evergreen) 6-8 ft

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by subrosa, Apr 3, 2007.

1. subrosa

subrosa Member

I have a spot in the garden that needs a vertical accent plant that would be green all year. Something like a boxwood would be perfect but I understand it would take decades to reach that height. Something with small leaves that will take clipping to remain tight and tidy would work well if there is such a plant. I think a narrow column or pyramid shape would look best.

2. JanetW

JanetW Active Member

How tall do you want it? Is it sun or shade? What is your hardiness zone? Taxus baccata "fastigiata" Irish Yew, grows in shade, 15-30' high by 4-8' wide, evergreen and hardy from z6-7. Thuja occidentalis "Pyrimidalis", grows 20-30' x 5-8', grows in sun, z 3-7, another is Juniperous, many species and cultivars to choose from, I sure your local nursery should have some columnar forms. Janet

3. subrosa

subrosa Member

My garden is in zone 7-8. The location is full sun. I may have been misleading when I stated 'evergreen'; what I meant was green all year like a boxwood. I suppose broad leafed evergreen would be more descriptive but with small leaves so it could be clipped to maintain a tight form. Height 6-8 feet, width 2-3 or so.
    Thanks for your reply.

4. JanetW

JanetW Active Member

There are lots of nice Euonymus, variegated with golds and creams, various species and cultivars of broadleaf evergreen. Janet