Need idea for a plant

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by Budja, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Budja

Budja Active Member

I live in Vancouver, Canada. Here's what I need. I have a raised flower bed that is full sun. Its about 1 foot off the ground. I want to get something so it grows over the edge and falls to the ground. The effect is seeing the plant instead of the flower bed edges. It would be nice if it was a perennial. I was hoping I could find something that flowered and had a long bloom time as well. Maybe a small Clematis? Suggestions would be fantastic. Thank you . In the flower bed, I plan to put the flowers that I will change every year.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Aubrieta deltoidea
    Iberis sempervirens
    Phlox subulata

3. growing4it

growing4it Active Member 10 Years

Iberis umbellata, commonly known as Candytuft is a low-growing flowering perennial that prefers well-drained full sun is a what I would recommend

You could also check out daylilies. With the long strap-like leave and trumpet shaped flowers, they'll drape over your low retaining wall.

4. Ron B

I. umbellata is short-lived. The common rockery perennial is I. sempervirens.

5. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Budja
    How aboout LITHODORA, either Heavenly blue or Grace Ward?

Per Sunset book- "Forms a prostrate, somewhat woody, slightly mounded mass 6 th 12 in. high, 3-4 ft wide. Narrow evergreen leaves 3/4 - 1 in long; both foliage & stems are hairy. In late Spring (& often later), plant is sprinkled w/ brilliant blue tubular 1/2-in long flowers."

And, the blue flowers tho tiny are very evident! Mine hangs over a 4 ft rockery, but needs to be sheared back each yr. so shouldn't intrude towards a lawn. Just another idea.
    barb

6. Ron B

Stunning in bloom, but has a tendency to go black in sections as does bearberry. Think Lithodora likewise needs a sandy soil. Sandy but moist. A place where I have seen a big, long-lived mat of it has sandy soil.

The gardener there is also apt to use chemicals or take other steps to address any problems that develop in her plants. It's possible there is a spray for the blackening and she has been using it over the years. Maybe a copper fungicide. I haven't ever looked into it.

7. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

8. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Liz,
    Sure! Nasturtium would be great. A whole riot of colors and they do re-seed themselves pretty well. I just got a good look at my Lithodora and as Ron says - it's black - time to cut it way back. I just like the blues, purple, pinks, and burgundies for my flowers. My daughter likes any color and since she's doing the work "She who holds the shovel gets to plant what ever she pleases".
    barb