Need help with tree

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by justo1, Aug 16, 2009.

1. justo1

justo1 Member

We have a tree in the backyard, its quite old, been there since before we moved in, Now every day we go out there by its base there is alot of twigs that look like they have been cut/chewed off, if you stand out there for a while, and watch they slowly fall to the ground. My guess is its some kind of bug eatign away at the ends of the twigs and destroying the tree, but the tree is much to large to get a close look at what is eating it, any suggestions would help.

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

what kind of tree is it?? could be squirrels doing the damage. or it could be the tree has some disease - either bugs or some kind of fungal or bacterial issue.

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Squirrel action, maybe. Ones here like to nip off ends of my maple tree branches---I find these pieces fairly often on my front lawn.

Could you post photos, of the tree and of the twigs? Do you know the genus/species name of your tree?

4. justo1

justo1 Member

Im not sure what genus the tree is of, its quite large though. I dont think its squirrels id see/hear them, and whatever is doing it seems to be very silent. I apologize but my camera isnt very good, so the pictures are not of the best quality.

Attached Files:

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Honey-locust Gleditsia triacanthos.

6. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

the pics are good enough! i'll defer to michael about the id - i'm not too good with trees.

i'd still say squirrels are the problem. they can do their damage at a time when you're not around and the bits of branches fall and get caught in lower branches and then get blown loose later.

i'm always seeing bits of my dogwood on the ground. and bits of the mulberry tree that's in the next yard, as well. and that's definitely squirrel related. woodpeckers would work on the trunks rather than branches - especially the small ones that you're seeing fall.

7. justo1

justo1 Member

Thanks for the help, in both regards, i was always wondering what type of tree it was, i thought it was a Honey-locust but it doesn't have thorns or pods. I can see how it can be squirrels, the branches are really well chewed, to a point, making me think it is a small animal, im surprised i cant hear them, then again the tree is over 60 feet high, making it rather difficult. I was just curious, since the tree''s age could the squirrels, eating the foliage at a constant rate, be harmful to the tree? or is it something i should just overlook. Thanks.

8. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Thornless cultivars of Honey-locust, like 'Inermis', are very popular (not surprisingly!).