Need help with OLD pony tail palm

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by destinfishin, Jul 8, 2009.

1. destinfishin

destinfishin Member

Help

Moved a pony tail palm from Houston Tx. to Florida panhandle 2 months ago. The palm I was told is 30 plus years old and in a small metal pot 24 wide by 11 inch high, root bound, has been outside under the shade of oak trees for the 30 years also it got 4 inches of snow 6 months before I moved it to Florida. It is fused to the metal pot and I do not know what to do. I am keeping it inside because I do not want it to get burned by the hot FL. sun. And after 2 months the new growth that was there when I moved it is turnning yellow I got it for my wife and do not want it to die. It is 12 foot tall with a base about 24 inch around. Please help with any info.
    I Just joined the forum tonight.

Thank You All for any info

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  2. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

Thin metal can be cut with a grinding wheel. Thicker, cast-iron will need a plasma cutter. The other option is to soak the soil until it is muddy, work in a long knife along the inside edge of the container and start cutting the roots away. Cut the roots away from the drainage hole(s) so that you can lift the plant out. Do not worry so much about the roots, in fact, I typically do a root trimming on mine every 2-4 years. The beauty of plants with caudexes is that they are very resilient to root loss...provided it is not rot, of course.

3. destinfishin

destinfishin Member

thank you for the info on removing the pot any thoughts on why the newest growth is turnning yellow and what should I do if anything to help it adapt to the new indoor conditions? What are the steps in re potting, size pot, how much water ETC.?

Thank you again for responding.