Need help with Alocasia

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by Momo, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Momo

Momo New Member

Hello,
    I have had my Alocasia for about 4 months and repotted it about 1 month ago. Recently after a move from my living room in another area with afternoon sun to my room of morning sun. I have noticed that some leaves have holes in them but no sign of insects or pests. The stems of one side of the plant have become shrivelled, squishy and brown. I suspect it may be due to new growth but I am not sure as I have struggled with overwatering in the past. If anyone has any advice I’d appreciate it. I’ve attached some pictures.

Attached Files:

2. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

Hi Momo. :) Overwatering issues like you've had in the past are very closely tied with the amount of light the plant gets. In lower light, there is a much higher chance of overwatering problems. So if you don't have very bright light where the plant is aggressively growing, then you have to be near perfect on watering with these. There is a balance.
    The same effect happens after these are repotted, they can be even more susceptible to watering problems then, and can often sulk for a bit and just sit there complaining for awhile until you increase the light (without burning it of course by adding sun too quickly).
    Another factor is that a plant with many leaves will commonly give up on several of the older leaves after repotting. They just can't support as many on the roughed-up, weakened, root system. So overall I wouldn't really be worried at all as long as the new growth is unfurling well and the new leaves are of good size.

3. Momo

Momo New Member

Thank you for the advice! I new leaf unfurled and it looks healthy. I’ll try and be more on point with my water as my room has less light then my previous room.