Need help w/ leaf discoloration

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by bigbuzd1, May 6, 2008.

1. bigbuzd1

bigbuzd1 Member

hello all. I just bought, and moved into, a new home last month with quite a few established plants and trees...my favorite being the orange tree and this huge Magnolia. I want to properly care for these beautiful trees and keep them healthy.
    The Magnolia is showing a lot of discoloration under the leaves. I have read through quite a few threads and have come to think this is indumentum from a statement in another thread which is in quotations.

"Is the dark brown on the underside of the leaves? If so, this is indumentum and is perfectly normal. Some varieties of M. grandiflora have more indumentum and some are bare."

My tree has lots of new leaves sprouting, quite a few good sized buds, and a few open flowers...one flower that I was able to see inside of had beetles. From what I have read on here the beetles are a good thing. As you can see in the pictures the new leaves are not discolored. Is this stuff under the leaves something that needs to be taken care of...or is it just normal? any help is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files: