Need help selecting a dioecious species???

Discussion in 'Plants: Science and Cultivation' started by thorins92, Sep 29, 2009.

1. thorins92

thorins92 Member

Hello, my name is Thorin Siglin and I am a Senior at Dolores High School, Colorado and am attempting to do an advanced science project designed to study sexual preferences of a dioecious plant when exposed to different environmental factors.

I am having difficulty finding a plant that meets a specific criteria that would best suit this type of experiment.

The plant must:
    -Grow quickly
    -Flower quickly
    -Be dioecious (separate male/female flowering individuals)
    -Able to be grown indoors

Ideally, I would also like the plant to display dimorphism as well (hermaphrodism), be easily obtainable from seed or seedling, and for it to be grown easily.

Any help on selecting a good species (or a list/genus that fit the criteria), or even help pertaining to the subject in general would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Thorin K. Siglin

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. thorins92

thorins92 Member

As well as I KNOW Cannabis would work, unfortunately, the legal aspect of it (even here, in Colorado) is impossible for me to deal with.

thankyou for your other suggestions, I will review both and look for something that catches my eye...

4. thorins92

thorins92 Member

Thanks for the tip of the Amaranthus genus, I found a species that might be suitable to my experiment...

Amaranth palmeri, a summer annual that sports seperate male and female flowers, grows very fast, and can tolerate harsh conditions.

Now the only questions that remain are: How quickly can I get a plant to flower (remembering that I am indoors, and light cycles will play a role in my experiment) and how distinguishable will the flowers be?