Need Help! REQ: Identify Sick Trees...

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Thraxen, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Thraxen

Thraxen Member

We have a couple of trees in our backyard that have developed some sort of disease. They are both the same type of tree. When in bloom they look like dogwoods, but the fruit they currently have doesn't seem to match anything I have found pictures of relating to dogwoods.

So I need help identifying the trees, the disease, and any info on what be done to help them. Here are some pictures (pictures are a bit large):

Some leaves with spots
    Almost every leaf has spots now :(

Closer look at a leaf

Dead limb
    There are quite a few of these small limbs that have died completely on each tree.

Better look at the fruit

Any help greatly appreciated... I want to save these trees.

2. wrygrass2

wrygrass2 Active Member 10 Years

Possibly pear tree(Pyrus)? Flowers would have 5 petals instead of 4 as in the Dogwood (Cornus). If so check out this page for diseases. Harry

3. Thraxen

Thraxen Member

I think you may be right. Check out the picture on this page linked to in the link you provided: Link

Compared that picture to the picture of the dead limb I posted above. Looks identical.

After doing some reading it also appears that there is nothing I can do at this point. Sprays are ineffective once the disease has started :( Looks like I'll have to hope they survive till winter and then do some pruning of infected branches.

4. wrygrass2

wrygrass2 Active Member 10 Years

Summer pruning is always a way to go. Be sure and leave some limbs with green leaves to keep the tree alive. From that same page you linked to:

I would at least remove the dead branches, and try to remove any severely effected parts of the tree, to try and control the spread. You might also post your pictures on the UBC fruit trees forum and see if someone can give you other suggestions on treatment and also to confirm that fireblight is the disease in fact. I thought there were similarities to Fabraea Leaf Spot from the link on my first post, too. Which is why I didn't actually name the disease. Someone at the fruit trees forum might be able to recognize it. The summer pruning applies to most plant diseases in any case.

Harry