Need help planting Taro Root

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Fussywussy, May 15, 2008.

1. Fussywussy

Fussywussy Member

Hey,

I bought some very good quality edible Taro Root yesterday that comes from the Central American Region. I am wanting to plant some in my large garden, however, I have no clue which end is up or down as both have cut marks. There are however, several knobs or preshoots or eyes on one side of the tubers. Is there a right and wrong way to plant them and if so which?

Next question about Taro, can it survive a German winter? Sometiems we have very mild winters and then sometimes harsh. Will mulching save the tubers til next spring? I am planning on planting this this weekend May 16th or so. How deep should they be planted and in what type of soil is best? I have what is known as heavy clay in some parts of my garden, then I have a very light soil in other areas where that has been much pine needle droppings over the years, then I have a sandy clay type this was a hnuman construction to achieve this. Also, can they grow in shade or part shade? Any help on this will be appreciated.

P.s. I am wanting to grow them for the leaf and tubers for culinary purposes.
    thanks much

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

plant them so the eyes are up.

what is your weather/hardiness zone?

here's a map for you to figure it out: european hardiness zone mapclick on your country for more detail.

3. Fussywussy

Fussywussy Member

Than you very much for this hardiness map, I didnt know there was one for Europe. I fall in the dark green and light greet just betwen both 6 and 7 zones
    . And thanks for the pointer, I was about to put the eyes downward, but thank God I waited.

4. joclyn

you're welcome!!

i've never grown them...can't find any that are hardy in zones colder than 8. if you know the variety name, that might help.

i wouldn't chance leaving it down for winter - even with a lot of mulching. if you werr fully in zone 7 and close to the border for zone 8, i'd say chance it and mulch really, really well and it should be okay...you're in between 6 & 7 and that's too cold.

unless we find that this particular variety is hardy to 6 or even 7. if you can get the name of it, post.

5. Fussywussy

Fussywussy Member

I dont know the name more than it is taro or eddoes from the central american region Ecaudor to be exact. The thing is, they say dig up tubers like bubls that will not last thru winter like daffodils and tulips and Jerusalem artichokes and and and, and we dont do this and leave them in the ground and they all survive year after year, so since this will be planted deeper, I was wondering if it just might survive the cold, we do not get that much snow in this region but we can be pretty damp in the fall

6. Fussywussy

Fussywussy Member

I dont know the name more than it is taro or eddoes from the central american region Ecuador to be exact. The thing is, they say dig up tubers like bubls that will not last thru winter like daffodils and tulips and Jerusalem artichokes and and and, and we dont do this and leave them in the ground and they all survive year after year, so since this will be planted deeper, I was wondering if it just might survive the cold, we do not get that much snow in this region but we can be pretty damp in the fall

7. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Jocylyn's advise is good. Survival in winter will depend on the genus and species. Assuming it is Colocasia esculenta, probably. But it will depend on the coldest temperature. Super hard long ground freezes may kill the corm. If it is an Alocasia or a Xanthosoma, perhaps as well. Since you don't know the species, a positive answer is not possible. The word taro has no meaning as to species.

Read this page for more information.
    http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Colocasia esculenta large pc.html

Read it all. Don't stop with the first photo. This is an extremely variable species. Links to other genera are at the bottom of the page.

8. joclyn

/waves heya, steve!! good to see you!!

so, i done did good, huh?!

fw, please read the info on steve's site...VERY good info there!!

9. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Thanks Jocylyn. Surgery was a total success but I tire easily. Being on the computer is a form of treatment!